Apr 1, 2003

Yesterday, I was thumbing through this Kohls circular (one of the many which deluge my mailbox on a somewhat regular basis) and I noticed all the men were sporting "six packs" (not the ones you see at the 7-11) and all the women were willowy (although truth be told they all appeared to have "chicken legs" and were slightly bow-legged at that - what's that about?). None of the circulars I get have pictures of the people I see when I go to shop in those stores. I never see the annoying hyperactive kind wailing at the top of his or her lungs, just these cherubic stepford kids. Never see the obese men who haven't seen their nether regions outside of a mirror since their late teens and none of those ladies that find new and interesting ways to push a shopping cart in places it was never meant to go. These people are models! Geeez! Put them in a garbage bag with a sash and they'd look good, no wonder our country has a weird self image problem.










No comments: